Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Interiors and the stories they tell

Merry Christmas. Happy New Year. Yes, I know, t is almost February. I guess time flies when you're caught up in the school holiday madness of looking after an almost four-year-old and an almost nine-month-old, coupled with dealing with a prolapsed disc that's hitting on a nerve. Oh yes, fun times indeed. Needless to say my 'doing' in the last month or so has not centred around this here blog...

...but while I may not have had time to 'do', I have had time to think. 

I've thought a lot about why I love interiors (this may be due to the fact that I've spent a lot of time at home looking at the spaces around me). What I've realised is that I love the way personal spaces evolve and grow with you - nothing is ever 'finished', there's always the possibility of adding something - from travels, from friends and loved ones - you get the idea. And I don't like trinkets or clutter, I'm someone who likes order and minimalism - with the warmth of personal touches - in their design/interiors.

The above collection is what I wake to every morning. It sits above our chest of drawers at the end of our bed and gives me something happy to see before I start my day. It didn't start out as all the pieces you see above - it began with a vase (a gift from my aunt), the hanging necklace (a piece from travelling in europe), the ceramic votives (a gift from a friend) and the dinosaur designs bracelets (i wore them with my wedding dress). When I chose those items to put together I thought that would be the end of it. Then I made the yellow artwork for our second wedding anniversary and loved the colour and sentiment it added to my little collection. The Emily Green necklace I bought while pregnant with number 2 and I love that it reminds me of that time and adds a great spoonful of colour (sorry!). The latest addition, the Stephen Ormandy card, was a gift from my husband over Christmas - and it fits p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y. When I look at the collection now I am overwhelmed with the story it tells. Of course superficially it looks great, but I can't wait to see what I might add to it as my story continues.


Do any of you have a collection that tells a beautiful story?

No comments:

Post a Comment