Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Do you prefer digital or film?

Digital - with NOTHING done to it

Film (a photo of a photo I took in 1999 in London, yep, I've lost the negative, the original is pin-sharp)
Digital or film? Most people would take digital - it's easy, fast, cheap... and you get to delete any bad shots straight away. Yes, I do love my digital camera, but I sometimes find myself missing the old days of using film and the unexpected surprise when you'd process a roll of film and realise you'd shot something beautiful. 

The black and white shot above I took in London in 1999 (unfortunately I've lost the negative and my scanner is broken so you get a blurry photo of a photo). I love this shot because it was one of those great surprises. I knew I had the framing composition - the bus stand and timetable running horizontally and vertically, but I had no idea I would get the truck with great type on it as the dynamic element in the shot. The dark and light was also spot on as it had just finished raining (even though it was summer). For me this is one of those times where it all just came together, and no, it doesn't happen too often. 

The gum flower shot above is of course digital - I took it last week while I was having lunch in our courtyard. I didn't labour over the shot and actually thought I hadn't taken anything too worthy (as I couldn't see the screen in the sunlight) until I opened up my photo card this morning and realised it wasn't too shabby... So I suppose digital can give you nice surprises too - and I do like the fact that when doing professional shoots you no longer have to budget for how many packs of polaroids you'll need for the test shots - anyone else remember that or am I just showing my age?!

1 comment:

  1. I have your b&w shot of a rainy street in Paris (print), beautiful. And the film pic of the flower, shining gold. Keeping them!!

    ReplyDelete