Sunday, 21 August 2011

Looking inside

Sounds deep, I know... but it's not. Let me explain: I quite liked my themed week last week and thought I'd continue this week with the theme 'interiors'. 
One of the draw backs with working from home is the fact that I get to stare at the things around me (while brainstorming of course). This is not a good thing - it means I'm constantly wondering if a room is finished, or if something else wouldn't make it just perfect?! 


Our kitchen/dining area – needs some finishing touches


My project at the moment is our kitchen/dining area (above). What I love about the space is the light it receives, the view onto our courtyard and the fact that there is no television. I love that when I'm in there I'm either cooking, playing with Malie or entertaining friends and I can do it all without the temptation of having the television on in the background (I think this is the reason Malie has very little interest in watching it). 
What I want to do though is create some division between the kitchen and dining areas (in a very small space). I've been thinking about this for 3 years and have finally decided what will complete the room. I have LOVED Ingo Maurer's Zettel'z pendant light since I first saw it in a magazine years ago. It was designed in 1998 by the German designer featuring Japanese paper with poems and drawings. It comes with replacement paper and this encourages you to personalise the light (your own poems, love letters, shopping/to do lists(!)...). I love that an inanimate object can become so personal just by the words, drawings or personal touches you add to it. 
Zettel'z pendant by Ingo Maurer
House by Maurice Padovani in Marseilles, France.
Interior of jewellery designer Charlotte Lynggaard's house in Denmark. Photography by Jacob Gils as seen in the current issue of the amazingly beautiful Est magazine
So...what do you think, will it work to add some personaility and intimacy to the space?

4 comments:

  1. Yep, it is a lovely 'floaty' object with shadows, creating a soft visual division, lit up or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect summary...see you are creative! x

    ReplyDelete