Thursday, 19 May 2011

How to: The one brush, 20 minute painting!

I've had a blank canvas sitting on my work room floor for a few months now. Yesterday I felt like making something colourful, so I grabbed my one paint brush (yes, I've used it here before!) and my small collection of paints, and 20 minutes later this is what I got!
What you'll need:
•blank stretched canvas 
•paint brush (my old 5cm wide cheapy did the trick)
•plastic lids or plates for mixing paint
•different coloured acrylic paints
•scrap paper to test designs on
•paper to protect surface you are painting on
Step 1:
Mix up a range of colours you think will go well together. On a few scraps of paper do a few brush strokes in different colours to see how they work together (above left). Also do some trial compositions to get an idea of what you like (above right). Practicing your brush strokes also helps you to have confidence when you do the real thing.
Step 2:
Once you've decided on colours, mix up each one on a separate plastic lid or plate. I chose to go with two slightly different types of orange, a red and a grey which i mixed using black and pearl white (to give it a slight sheen).
Step 3:
You will be working one colour at a time (unless you happen to have four brushes the same - one for each colour). You need to do thick, confident brush strokes - one full line at a time. Do not mix the paint with water, unless it is really thick, and use a dry brush as it is nice to get some texture from the canvas coming through. You will need to wash and dry the brush well between colours.
I started with the grey because I thought that colour would work best to frame the canvas. To work out the distance for each stroke, break the canvas into the width of the brush (so if the canvas is 20cm wide and the brush is 5cm you know there'll be 4 brush strokes). To do the top grey stroke, I measured two brush strokes in from the right to give me the point at which I needed to end he grey stroke. Next I did the orange, and then the red.
Step 4:
Next I used the darker orange, the grey (again) and then the red. This left me with the white space you can see in the above picture.
Step 5:
With the space left to fill in I decided it would work best to use the brush on its side (to get a thinner line). I then painted to the edge of the canvas on all sides. I painted the sides of the canvas too as I wasn't going to frame it.
So there you go - the one brush, 20 minute painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment